FRESH THINKING EXPERIENCED ADVICE SINCE 1970
For help with your legal matters
Contact Hutchinson Cox
Meet Jonathan M. Hood
Jonathan is an experienced litigator serving individuals, businesses, and public entities at the trial and appellate levels. He handles a wide variety of disputes, including employment and contract disputes, discrimination and retaliation claims, and civil rights issues. Jonathan is especially passionate about appellate advocacy and the art of effective persuasion, and he enjoys speaking on these topics. Jonathan strives to achieve the best outcome for his clients in a manner that is both efficient and effective.
Jonathan grew up in a small town outside of Flint, Michigan. He moved to Eugene in 2010 for law school after pursuing a theatre and DJ career in Chicago for eight years. Jonathan’s Midwestern family—including his parents and brothers—now call Oregon home. He enjoys spending time with them and exploring all that the Pacific Northwest outdoors has to offer. When not in the office or the courtroom, you can find Jonathan hiking, backpacking, cross-country skiing, snowboarding, playing ice hockey in the local adult league, or DJing a local roller derby event.
J.D., University of Oregon, 2013
B.S., Central Michigan University, 2001
- Oregon State Bar Association, member
- Lane County Bar Association, member
- Defended employers against various types of discrimination claims, including claims that an employee was treated differently on the basis of gender, race, or sexual orientation.
- Defended employers against “whistleblowing” claims where an employee claims they were retaliated against for “blowing the whistle” on allegedly wrongful conduct.
- Defended public employers against claims that they retaliated against employees for allegedly exercising their First Amendment rights.
- Defended public officials against claims that individuals or businesses were allegedly treated differently in violation of the Equal Protection clause of the United States Constitution.
- Defended public officials against claims that an individual was allegedly deprived of a property or liberty interest in violation of the Due Process clause of the United States Constitution.
Presentations & Publications
- “How to Draft Effective Legal Briefs,” Opportunities for Law in Oregon Conference (presenter, Continuing Legal Education, August 2017)
- “Tips for Improving Your Briefs,” Oregon New Lawyers Division Writing Workshop (presenter, Continuing Legal Education, June 2017)
- “Revisions to Oregon’s Whistleblower Statutes,” Harrang Long Gary Rudnick P.C. (presenter, Continuing Legal Education, October 2016)
Civil Rights & Other Tort Claim Defense & Litigation
AWARDS & ACCOLADES
“I can confidently state he is an outstanding lawyer. …focused on practical and efficient legal outcomes. His legal work is excellent.”Scott H.Opposing attorney
“Everett is a class act. …Everett is straight forward and honest. He doesn’t play games with you or your emotions.”Rijnclient
“I came to Frank for help with a complicated divorce involving complicated business difficulties. I really needed professional advice. Frank has been from the beginning upfront. I was really impressed by his advice.”HaringClient
“Amazing to work with! His first concern was about doing what was best for my son…. He was very honest and forthcoming about the law and the process, what I could do on my own and what he could do.”JenClient
“Liam is professional and yet easy to talk to about your issues… office staff is also professional, responsive and very helpful.”BobbieClient